Sunday, April 12, 2009

Running Barefoot?

Went through joint mbility, stretches and a couple of complexes in the morning yesterday.
I've been kicking around changing my running style to something more natural. I would eventually like to run in Vibrams 5 Fingers. I would try to go barefoot if not for all the stupid drunks that throw beer bottles everywhere. Oops, was that a rant? Anyway I ran 2.2 miles last night in my retro Asics that are pretty much flat with no padding. I concentrated on not striking my heel. This is apparently easier on the knees, hips and ankles since you absorb more impact without the jarring of the heel. I stretched out good before and after but still have soreness in places I've never felt before. The front side of my ankle and leg below the shin are on fire today. Not shin splints, rather the muscle and tendons are woken up. Mission accomplished. Now I want to work up to 5k and some more speed. I went pretty slow last night doing 2.2 in 20 minutes. 1st half was 11 minutes and when I turned around to come back I picked up the pace and did the return in 9 minutes.
I've been completing a Toxin Cleanse for the last 10 days. Kind of like an oil change for the body. Just like hitting the reset button.
V02 tomorrow.

1 comment:

Marty said...

I've thought about getting those finger shoes when I get my weight down dome. I think they are cool.