Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Swing - The Center of the Kettlebell Universe

Since the CK-FMS I have been working on my swing technique. It all starts with the dead lift groove. I had too much knee bend and not enough hip hinge. I've been working on keeping the back straight and the knees from moving forward on the dead lift then quickly moving to the swing and just recreating the groove but faster with more snap. I think part of the problem was working out facing a mirror. Trying so hard to watch form that I was keeping my head up and not letting the lower back release for the hinge. I started letting my eyes drift down with the kettlebell and even straight down during the hike then back up all the way. Amazing. My hamstrings are waiving the white flag. If you are feeling the swing in your quads you need to work on form. Get parallel to the mirror and don't let your knees/shins move forward during the backswing. They might pop out a little on the hip snap but it should be minimal. Make sure you don't 'chicken neck'. This means keep your head/neck neutral to your spine. Head and spine should stay in line with very little or no angle. Snap the hips, lift the knees. On the way down punch your but back and hinge at the waist. Go back to the deadlift. Practice every rep and don't do more than about 10 reps per set. Enjoy.
Here's how not to swing:


Here's a decent swing and a work in progress. Notice the difference in the knee movement and more hinge. Also look at where I'm looking at the bottom of the swing.

No comments: